HiOn Hedera helix fallen branchEcological habitat:

26-04-2024 10:07

Mathias Hass Mathias Hass

Hello, Does anyone know what this is? Found on J

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Mini clavule noire
Daniel Ghyselinck, 31-03-2011 21:19
Bonsoir à tous, hi everybody,

J'ai récolté cette semaine, sur branche de feuillus, ce petit asco en forme de clavule, entièrement noir. La forme ressemble un peu à Acrospermum compressum, mais ici la clavule est nettement plus petite (+/- 0,5 mm de haut) - voir la photo sous la bino en haut de la planche micro jointe.
Les spores sont grises puis brunes, avec 1 à 3 cloisons à maturité et mesurent 12 - 19 x 4 - 5 µm. Asques étroites, à 8 spores unisériées.
Je n'ai pas la moindre idée... même du genre !

I collect this week, on a broad-leaved branch, this small clavulate asco, entirely black. The shape looks a bit like Acrospermum compressum, but here the clavule is smaller (+/- 0,5 mm high) - see photo under the bino at top-left of the microscopic plate.
The spores are gray than brown, with 1 to 3 septa at maturity, 12 - 19 x 4 - 5 µm. Asci narrow, with 8 uniseriate spores.
I've no idea at all... not even the genus !

Amitiés - Regards,
Daniel Ghyselinck
  • message #14984
Gernot Friebes, 31-03-2011 21:22
Re:Mini clavule noire
Hi Daniel,

I think it is a Phaeocalicium.

Best wishes,

Gernot
Daniel Ghyselinck, 31-03-2011 21:40
Thanks Gernot,

I searched the web and it seems to be OK for Phaeocalicium.
My collection grew close to Peniophora cinerea.
Is the genus Phaeocalicium a lichen ?

Daniel
Gernot Friebes, 31-03-2011 21:48
to my knowledge, Phaeocalicium is a non-lichenized genus of the Mycocaliciaceae. This family includes some more non-lichenized (also lichenized?) genera of so called "pin-lichens".

Best wishes,

Gernot
Marja Pennanen, 31-03-2011 23:18
Hi Damiel,

I got to admit, that I'm a bit jealous to you ;)
Phaeocaliciums are still living only in my dreams.

Yours could be P. boreale (or maybe B. interruptum).

Congratulations from Marja
Daniel Ghyselinck, 31-03-2011 23:31
Thanks Marja,

And I must admit I did not see it in the field... I took the branch to identify the Peniophora !
Well, now, the difficult part is to identify the species, I will start with your proposal, but I don't have any key of this genus.

Best regards,
Daniel
Marja Pennanen, 01-04-2011 21:43
Hi Daniel,

I'd like to know the substrate. Was there any bark left, where this grow? What was the habitat and so on. I really wish to find them some good fungi hunting day.

I got "Nordic lichen flora". It's got some keys, but I find them quite difficult. The descriptions for these Mycocaliciales are propably good enough. I could scan the Phaeocalicium sides for you. Are there some restrictions (copyright), that would prevent to add them here?

Marja
Daniel Ghyselinck, 01-04-2011 22:25
Hi Marja,

It was in a rather damp place, with Salix and Alnus, but also Populus at the border. The branch was only partly decorticated. It is so small and isolated that I think it is nearly impossible to see it in the field. Even under the binocular, it takes a few time to locate it !

There is an interresting article here : http://www.annbot.net/PDF/anbf33/anbf33-205.pdf

With the key in this article, I think that Ph. boreale is the best solution. Ph. interruptum has a different shape and much smaler spores. Ph. tremulicola is a good possibility too, but the stalk should be paler and it is a very small species, less than 0,33 mm height.

I just wonder how to check the K+ reaction ? Is it with Lugol ?

Daniel
Luc Bailly, 03-04-2011 11:14
Luc Bailly
As Zotto always advises with Discomycetes, I always check IKI reaction with simple Lugol (IIRC a reaction could be doubtful in MLZ and more obvious in IKI).

Anyway, thanks for showing me a genus which I never heard of before.

Cheers - Luc BAILLY;