26-04-2024 10:07

Mathias Hass Mathias Hass

Hello, Does anyone know what this is? Found on J

24-04-2024 21:54

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, J'ai trouvé ce Lasiobolus sur laissées

23-04-2024 15:18

Lothar Krieglsteiner Lothar Krieglsteiner

... but likely a basidiomycete. I hope it is o.k.

23-04-2024 13:17

Edouard Evangelisti Edouard Evangelisti

Bonjour à tous, Je viens de récolter ce que je

23-04-2024 21:49

Ethan Crenson

Hello all, A friend recently found this orange as

22-04-2024 11:52

Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová) Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová)

Hello,I made a loan of a collection of Microstoma

11-01-2022 16:36

Jason Karakehian Jason Karakehian

Hi does anyone have a digital copy of Raitviir A (

22-04-2024 08:54

Rafael Cabral

Bonjour à toutes et tous, Quelqu'un pourrait-il

22-04-2024 20:38

Miguel Ãngel Ribes Miguel Ángel Ribes

Good afternoon.Does anyone know this anamorph?It g

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Scutellinia cf. kerguelensis
Andreas Gminder, 15-08-2021 01:39
Andreas GminderBonsoir chers collègues,

today my girlfreind and I have found a bright orange-red, short-haired Scutellinia on wet muddy ground.
The strange ornamentation pattern and the broadly ellipsoid spores, together with short (< 300 µm) and non-rooting (or with one root) hairs led us to S. superba, but the perispore is not loosening with lactic acid.
Lastly we concluded that it is another collection of S. kerguelensis, which we didn't key out before, because the spores were quite small.
In the key of Benat S. kerguelensis is noted as a complex - is there already some effort to separate the species in this complex? Are there small-spored and long-spored kerguelensis? We have three collections with spores 22-27 x 15-17 µm (Q = 1,5-1,6), 21-23 x 15,5-17 µm (Q = 1,33-1,44) and this collection with 20-21,8 x 15,7-17 µm (Q = 1,25-1,33) - always measured oin water. The first bigger-spored collection had hairs with 1-3 roots, the smaller-spored have hairs with 0-1 roots.

Any new insights in this complex?

thank you and all the best,
Andreas and Sylvie
  • message #69787
  • message #69787
  • message #69787
  • message #69787
Andreas Gminder, 20-08-2021 01:25
Andreas Gminder
Re : Scutellinia cf. kerguelensis
Bonsoir,

les Scutelliniologues, ils sont en vacances? ;-)

amicalement,
Andreas
Malcolm Greaves, 21-08-2021 12:13
Malcolm  Greaves
Hi Andreas, it looks as though even those who are interested in this group like myself haven’t the technical skill or sufficient specimens to take it further in defining the various species within the “complex” groups.
Mal
Ps I have also found more than one specimen that fitted perfectly with S superba but did not manage to get the perispore loosening reaction expected
Andreas Gminder, 21-08-2021 21:56
Andreas Gminder
Dear Mal,

thank you very much for your answer. As I'm not too deep into the ascos, I'm in most genera not on the todays knowledge level. Therefore its good to know that this complexes have not been resolved yet, or at least there is no publication about it. Also your hints towards S. superba is very useful. We will try to collect more of these complex, as it seems that these Scutellinias are not too rare in my area. I have never seen a kerguelensis for 30 years, and now we have three or four collections in 18 month and have not even searched for Scutellinias ....

all the best,
Andreas
DirkW, 22-08-2021 12:12
DirkW
hi andreas,

my suspicion is, that the feature of schumacher with "loosening spore wall" is a bit overstressed and not a good key-feature. I had much collections of s. torrentis and never saw this clearly. Instead a variable deformation of shape which is common by using cotton blue in many scutellinias! to me your collection would be a s. superba, my personal understanding of a "classical" kerguelensis ia a species with longer hairs and a very fine, inconspicous ornamentation of isolated warts. but I'm not aware of recent molecular-based complex-studies (if they exist at all ...).

beste grüße

dirk
Malcolm Greaves, 23-08-2021 14:57
Malcolm  Greaves
Andreas
This is what I expect for kerguelensis.
Dirk
I like your observation about the loosening perispore as this was the conclusion I was coming to.
Mal
  • message #69845
Viktorie Halasu, 23-08-2021 16:22
Viktorie Halasu
Hello Dirk and Mal,
when the perispore didn't peel off, did you try to add a drop of pure lactic acid and heat it again? Maybe, sometimes the concentration of LACB that is sufficient for not overstaining doesn't hold enough LA to loosen the perispore? 
Viktorie
Malcolm Greaves, 23-08-2021 19:03
Malcolm  Greaves
No didn’t try that, no lactic acid.
Andreas Gminder, 23-08-2021 21:54
Andreas Gminder
Hello,
but I did in my collection, as I suspected it to peal of, and I used pure lactic acid (80%) too. But as my cotton blue is 0,3 gr cotton blue in 100 ml lactic acid 80%, I didn't expect differences anyway.
all the best,
Andreas
Nicolas VAN VOOREN, 26-08-2021 19:01
Nicolas VAN VOOREN
Heelo Andreas.
Your collection surely belongs to the S. kerguelensis complex. The revision of this complex requires that a recent collection of this species made in the Kerguelen Island will be available for morphological and molecular study. As you know this is not easy to get material from this island!
without this first step it will be hard to separate the other collections.
Edouard Evangelisti, 30-08-2021 20:30
Edouard Evangelisti
Hello,

I will do ITS sequencing for several Scutellinia collections in a month or so (including several specimens collected in a French national Park). If you are interested I am happy to include yours. I will try and get material from other sources too. I am not saying this will resolve any species complex, but it may be a good start for comparison.

Best wishes,
Edouard