Bonsoir à toutes et tous,Pourriez-vous m'aider à

14-04-2024 22:58

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

• Bactridium flavum (anamorph): Distinctive macr

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Ascobolus brantophilus
Chris Yeates, 12-05-2021 21:44
Chris YeatesBonsoir tous

This is a conclusion to my premature post here: http://www.ascofrance.com/search_forum/68686

Clearly this is Ascobolus brantophilus. based on its occurrence on goose dung, and - especially - by the few cracks in the spore wall.

Dissing described it from goose dung in Greenland http://www.indexfungorum.org/names/NamesRecord.asp?RecordID=125655 and commented that it had also been collected in Canada and Norway. For a long time the only UK record was from the (very) far north in Shetland: http://basidiochecklist.science.kew.org/BritishFungi/FRDBI/FRDBIrecord.asp?intGBNum=50485 (the 3 records are of the same collection). 15 years later our ASCOfrance colleague Malcolm Greaves recorded it in Yorkshire 730 kilometres to the S; this current find was 78 km SW of that.

The issue of the species of goose on whose dung this occurs is interesting. While Dissing reported it on the dung of the 3 unequivocally migratory species, Mike Richardson's find was on dung of "farmyard goose" and Malcolm's and my finds are on that of Canada Goose. Canada Geese were introduced from N. America in the 17th century and they are now widespread in Britain; while not "tame" they often allow close approach by humans - except when near their nests! They mostly only move around locally, but here in Yorkshire, at least for a time they moved N to the Beauly Firth in Scotland to moult, reflecting their original moulting patterns across the Atlantic. Also in parts of Yorkshire where geese migrating from the far north overwinter the two groups of species will interact, so this could well be how the fungus has transferred species. In addition, if my current collection is anything to go by the fungus fruits profusely.

Interestingly on the British Mycological Society's autumn foray in 1996, Henry Dissing collected Canada Goose dung from a different site here in Yorkshire but only recorded Saccobolus quadrisporus; though this was before the publication of A. brantophilus.

I would encourage those interested in dung fungi to collect goose dung and see how widespread this species is. Likely areas would be those where migrating geese overwinter, areas like the Netherlands, the coastal areas of Niedersachsen and Schleswig-Holstein, and western Denmark. I would stress that there was nothing remarkable in the find site  - by a canal surrounded by factories etc. close to a town centre.

Chris
  • message #68789
  • message #68789
  • message #68789
  • message #68789
  • message #68789
  • message #68789
  • message #68789
  • message #68789
Castillo Joseba, 12-05-2021 21:54
Castillo Joseba
Re : Ascobolus brantophilus
Hola Chris,   es impresionante y curioso el mundo de la micologia,  no me canso de ver cosas nuevas y raras,   gracias por compartir

Joseba
Michel Hairaud, 12-05-2021 22:19
Michel Hairaud
Hi Chris, I was waiting for your announced conclusion .

What smashing pictures ! 
And I will look for goose dung !

Merci; camarade !
Michel 

Chris Yeates, 12-05-2021 23:37
Chris Yeates
Michel I remember what you suggested a while ago about me writing something for Ascomycete.org about these "rarer" coprophilous fungi with few images available to people. This collection has given me "un coup de pied à l'arrière". . .

Amitiés

Chris
Michel Hairaud, 13-05-2021 08:03
Michel Hairaud
Parfait Chris, I'm eager to read your paper
Michel
Norbert Heine, 13-05-2021 12:55
Norbert Heine
Hello Chris,

thank you for the wonderful portrait of this rare species. A good friend is collecting mushrooms for years at the Baltic Sea Island Hiddensee in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany. He also investigates goose dung, where he found such nice and very rare species like Sporormiella antarctica and Sporormiella immersa. So I think it's only a matter of time before he'll find Ascobolus brantophilus ;-)

Norbert
Thomas Læssøe, 13-05-2021 17:07
got is a new to southern Denmark last year: https://svampe.databasen.org/observations/10094234

Also reported as: Læssøe, T. 2021. En dyrkning af gødning, der gik langt over forventning – Gåse-Prikbæger, Mangecellet Knækspore og Westerdykella cylindrica nye danske arter. Svampe 83: 45-48.
cheers

PS tried in vain again a few weeks back but the dung remained "sterile"