26-04-2024 10:07

Mathias Hass Mathias Hass

Hello, Does anyone know what this is? Found on J

24-04-2024 21:54

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, J'ai trouvé ce Lasiobolus sur laissées

23-04-2024 15:18

Lothar Krieglsteiner Lothar Krieglsteiner

... but likely a basidiomycete. I hope it is o.k.

23-04-2024 13:17

Edouard Evangelisti Edouard Evangelisti

Bonjour à tous, Je viens de récolter ce que je

23-04-2024 21:49

Ethan Crenson

Hello all, A friend recently found this orange as

22-04-2024 11:52

Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová) Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová)

Hello,I made a loan of a collection of Microstoma

11-01-2022 16:36

Jason Karakehian Jason Karakehian

Hi does anyone have a digital copy of Raitviir A (

22-04-2024 08:54

Rafael Cabral

Bonjour à toutes et tous, Quelqu'un pourrait-il

22-04-2024 20:38

Miguel Ãngel Ribes Miguel Ángel Ribes

Good afternoon.Does anyone know this anamorph?It g

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Two Penicillium spp. isolates, same or different species?
Stephen Mifsud, 25-07-2022 00:37
Stephen MifsudSo I am working on two isolates of Penicillium, which are quite similar to each other, but initially I have decided that they were/are different because one (U20) releases a yellow pigment in PDA while the other (U21) does not or faintly so. 

The colony characteristics between the two are more or less not much different , whereas after today I had time to do the microscopy, I can see that morphologically they are quite similar.

Hence I am writing to ask opinions if it is possible that isolates of the same species would produce different exudate/pigmented products,  or else if you think that we are dealing with two closely related species?

I think they (or it) are quite similar to P. brevicompactum  / P. crustosum. The conidiospores (2.5-3.um) have a shaddowing indicating they are not smooth .
  • message #73486
  • message #73486
  • message #73486
  • message #73486
  • message #73486
  • message #73486
David Malloch, 25-07-2022 15:02
David Malloch
Re : Two Penicillium spp. isolates, same or different species?
Your isolates do indeed seem similar. Different strains of Penicillium species may vary in the amount of pigment they produce, so it is possible your two strains do represent the same species. The best way to settle this issue is by sequencing. Do you have access to someone who can do this?
Stephen Mifsud, 25-07-2022 17:34
Stephen Mifsud
Thank you for this information David, I was not aware about that! Then it is likely the same species but to kill any doubt  I will sequence it with ITS and TUB2 markers and report back, maybe you can help with the result then.
David Malloch, 25-07-2022 19:10
David Malloch
It will be interesting to see your results. I may not be very good at analyzing the molecular results, but I know some people who can probably help out.
Stephen Mifsud, 10-10-2022 12:34
Stephen Mifsud
Sorry for the wait David. 

I had the results a couple of weeks ago, using ITS and TUB2 markers. They indicate that the two Penicillium spp. are different. I do have the sequences that I can share.  The one with a yellow pigmentation (U20) matched best with Penicillium lanosum while the other one is Penicillium crustosum with a small doubt onto P. polonicum. I submitted two strains of U20 (both P. lanosum) and two of U21 and one resulted P. crustosum and the other P.crustosum/P. polonicum.  If Tub2 is a stronger marker for Penicillium, then those are more or less the confirmed species. 

So David (and others) , if you thinks these results may be interesting to someone to study further, I can pass them on
David Malloch, 14-10-2022 15:14
David Malloch
Hello Stephen,

I have been away from my computer for three weeks and have just today seen your post. It appears that your results have given you a good separation and identification of your isolates. However, I am not really competent to comment on the TUB2 marker. Looking at the paper of Aspergillus and Penicillium by Houbraken et al. I find no reference to TUB2 in the material and methods. Perhaps you should contact Dr. Houbraken (j.houbraken@wi.knaw.nl) and ask about that. He may well have used that marker but not included it in their paper.
Stephen Mifsud, 24-10-2022 13:03
Stephen Mifsud
Thank you david for correspondence.

This paper discusses several molecular markers and their pros and cons and where they are best applied to squence various groups of Fungi. On page 204 (19) there is a section on beta-tubulin marker.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331930251_Utility_of_various_molecular_markers_in_fungal_identification_and_phylogeny

I will contact Dr. Houbraken to see if he is interested in these sequences.