15-04-2024 14:37

Eric Rousseau

Bonjour,Je sais que les cyphelles ne sont pas des

13-04-2024 21:10

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

• Genus Cistella on dicots: Habitat, macro, hair

08-04-2024 19:57

Elisabeth Stöckli

Bonsoir,Récolté au bord du chemin, apothécie 0.

15-04-2024 16:09

Sylvie BIANCARDINI

Bonjour,Trouvé cet ascomycète sur vieille bouse

07-04-2024 20:49

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

Another species that appears easy to identify from

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Scutellinia variornata nom. prov?
Mirek Gryc, 15-09-2021 12:41
Hello all
Dear forum members, are my suspicions correct about this Scututellinia genre?
The collection consisted of several ascomata, but most were immature. In principle, I studied only one ascomata who was fairly mature. Microscopic features I have observed do not match any genre known to me. The most similar to the features of S. variornata nom. prov.
Spores with dimensions: Me = 19.6 × 15.7 µm; QE = 1.3.
The height of the warts reached almost 2 µm, but I suspect that you need to adopt a slightly greater height due to poorly mature ascomata.
Hair: Most of the length in the range of 200-250 µm.
The length of several marginal hair reached almost 300 µm.
Other features I present in the pictures.

I have a request to you:
Is anyone in possession of a more accurate description of this species? I would like to get acquainted with him.
regards
Mirek

• message #70111
  • message #70111
  • message #70111
  • message #70111
  • message #70111
  • message #70111
  • message #70111
  • message #70111
  • message #70111
Malcolm Greaves, 16-09-2021 00:30
Malcolm  Greaves
Re : Scutellinia variornata?
Hello Mirek
Unfortunately S variornata is one of a few species proposed and as yet only partially described by Benat.
Your find certainly fits with this partial description for the species but until Benat or someone completes this process it can only be put forward as nom. prov.
Mal
Mirek Gryc, 18-09-2021 06:48
Re : Scutellinia variornata?
Hi Malcolm
Thank you for expressing opinions about this Scututellinia, which confirms my suspicion.
I suspect that probably more species from this kind are still waiting for accurate elaboration and this is just one of them. Maybe Benat will find a bit of time to publish them? We will wait :)
Greetings
Mirek
Mirek Gryc, 23-07-2022 11:06
Re : Scutellinia variornata nom. prov?
Hello everyone.
Again, I found a very similar collection, in a completely different place but in a similar habitat. I wonder what species I am dealing with. The keys lead me, as before, to S. Superba. Unfortunately, some details don't suit me again. Hair up to 250 µm lengths but their width is very small for this species, the widest up to 20µm. Schumacher gives from 15µm to 35 µm. Both in the first and in this collection, the hair rarely exceeds 20µm.

As you can see in the pictures, spores with a very variable ornamentation, although I did not present all the variants.

In this case, however, Q = 1.5 for spores, so they are definitely narrower than before?

I would ask for your opinion.
Regards
Mirek
  • message #73448
  • message #73448
  • message #73448
  • message #73448
  • message #73448
  • message #73448
  • message #73448
  • message #73448
  • message #73448
Nicolas VAN VOOREN, 23-07-2022 18:17
Nicolas VAN VOOREN
In my opinion, this new collection fits with Scutellinia heterosculpturata.
Mirek Gryc, 23-07-2022 20:52
Hi Nicolas
You forced me to delve into the subject: D
You had a very good idea with S. heterosculpturata, but some differences are so glaring that I had to look for in literature. In fact, spores fit this species but when I watch the S. parvispora spores drawing, they are also similar to spores in my collection. Do you not think that other features described by J. Moravec better fit my collection?
The size of Apothecia also fits perfectly. Moravec gives 3-5 mm and mine had something about 3.5-4 mm.
However, since Moravec places this species in the S. Umbrorum complex, the ornamentation under the influence of heating should not separate. As you can see in the seventh photo from the top, in my collection the ornamentation detaches after heating?
Some features do not fit perfectly with the original description but basically fit in the norm.
I would like to know your opinion on this subject, of course if you find a free moment to respond to my observations.
Regards
Mirek
Nicolas VAN VOOREN, 24-07-2022 09:38
Nicolas VAN VOOREN
Hi Mirec.
Based on Moravec's description and on a collection tentatively named S. parvispora (by me), the latter has wider ascospores than S. heterosculpturata, and also longer hairs.
Nicolas
Mirek Gryc, 24-07-2022 17:09
And if so, I'm sorry, I didn't know about it.
I used the description of Schumacher to S. heterosculpturata. For this species, Schumacher gives the length of marginal hair to 800 µm.
In turn, Moravec for S. parvispora gives up to 410µm(on average 330x22).

When it comes to spores, the dimensions of the spores are more suited to S. heterosculpturata, but their shape is disputed.
According to the given spores for these species, I calculated Q.
S. heterosculpturata (Schumacher) ... Q = 1.64
S. parvispora (Moravec) ... Q = 1.43
spores of my collection ... Q = 1.50

To be honest, I don't really understand why Schumacher placed S. Parvispora in a group with long and massive hair exceeding 1000µm? However, already in the monograph "The Genus Scitellinia", this species is not there.
Nicolas, do I have old data on hair length for these species? Are there new arrangements?
I have problems with translation sometimes :(
Maybe I misunderstood something?
Regards
Mirek

Mirek Gryc, 24-07-2022 18:27
Ah, I have already read!
Schumacher recognized S, Parvispora as synonymous with S. Umbrorum.
In this case, my collection's hair completely does not match the dimensions given to this species; 200-720 (-950) x 24-48
My collection: length up to 200, width up to 20.
Thank you very much but I think I will give up, it will remain Sp.
Mirek
Nicolas VAN VOOREN, 27-07-2022 09:34
Nicolas VAN VOOREN
Mirek, I'm not sure to understand your problem. Do you talk about the first collection (posted on 15-09) or the second one (posted on 23-07)? These are clearly two different species.
The second one fits S.heterosculpturata, the first one can be discussed.
Mirek Gryc, 27-07-2022 11:26
Hi Nicolas
Of course, I am talking about the second collection and I am aware that these are two other species. First of all, the proportions of the spores are completely different.
I agree with you as much as possible, the spores match S. heterosculpturata, but the nature of the hair does not suit this species, hence my doubts.

I am also wondering about the flowing ornamentation after heating?

I have one more idea, although it may seem stupid. Beñat in his key presents the version of Scutellinia superba spores very similar to mine.
Currently, I do not have access to literature, I am at work, but if I remember well, this species has shorter hair and certainly with a protruding ornamentation after heating?
I also see similar spores on our colleague Enrique's website:
https://www.centrodeestudiosmicologicosasturianos.org/?p=33266
In Enrique, spores are a bit longer so maybe, my collection was not well mature?

Thank you and best regards
Mirek