26-04-2024 10:07

Mathias Hass Mathias Hass

Hello, Does anyone know what this is? Found on J

24-04-2024 21:54

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, J'ai trouvé ce Lasiobolus sur laissées

23-04-2024 15:18

Lothar Krieglsteiner Lothar Krieglsteiner

... but likely a basidiomycete. I hope it is o.k.

23-04-2024 13:17

Edouard Evangelisti Edouard Evangelisti

Bonjour à tous, Je viens de récolter ce que je

23-04-2024 21:49

Ethan Crenson

Hello all, A friend recently found this orange as

22-04-2024 11:52

Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová) Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová)

Hello,I made a loan of a collection of Microstoma

11-01-2022 16:36

Jason Karakehian Jason Karakehian

Hi does anyone have a digital copy of Raitviir A (

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Cainiaceae on Carex?
Nick Aplin, 28-03-2014 23:13

Salut à tous,

On 26/3/2014 I found some little perithecia on Carex Pendula I am having some problems with:

Perithecia immersed, 0.4 - 0.5mm, ostioles barely protruding through host tissues which are blackened at the surface.

Ascospores 20.6 - 23.7 x 6.2 - 7.7 µm, 1-septate, spore walls thickened at septa, with faint to distinct logitudinal striations, surrounded by a short-lived gel sheath which is greatly thickened at the poles.

Asci with complex subapical apparatus, IKI blue

Paraphyses filiform, septate.

I looked in Ellis & Ellis and found Ceriophora palustris, which seemed a good fit apart from the lack of ascospore striations (also there is no thickening at the setpta, but this could just be an author oversight...). I couldn't find any information on the iodine reaction of this species.

I also looked in 'Revision of Amphisphaeria' Wang, Aptroot & Hyde (the striations reminded me a little of the germ slits in Cainia) and found Arecophila saccharicola which seems a better fit, though a little exotic as it's a Jamaican species described from Sugarcane.

Does anyone have have any experience of these groups? Am I going down the wrong path?

Amitiés et comme toujours, merci pour l'aide!

Nick

• message #28522
  • message #28522
  • message #28522
  • message #28522
Björn Wergen, 29-03-2014 00:01
Björn Wergen
Re : Cainiaceae on Carex?
Hi Nick,

it rather looks like Cainia desmazieresii, but spores are a bit too broad and the substrate is Cyperaceae anyway, which may more typical for C. graminis with larger spores over 30µm length.

Is it possible to send a sample of this interesting species?

regards,
björn
Nick Aplin, 29-03-2014 01:06

Hi Bjorn,

Yes, no problem - I thought you might be interested in this one :)

There are still a dozen or so perithecia left, email me your address and I'll get the specimen in the post.

I don't think it fits with any species currently in Cainia....

Nick

Björn Wergen, 29-03-2014 08:38
Björn Wergen
Yes, I think so to, there are currently a few species described in this genus, and there is a confusion with Amphisphaeria / Arecophila saccharicola, described by Sivanesan 1975. I would like to check that.
Adress via email.

Thanks.

björn
Alain GARDIENNET, 30-03-2014 08:33
Alain GARDIENNET

Salut les amis,

Your analysis is right Nick. Arecophila is the good genus, I think

Have you compared to Arecophila striatispora, a french species. Do you observe a true clypeus on the surface, or only blackened tissues ?

It seems to be very  closed.

Alain

Nick Aplin, 31-03-2014 01:50

Salut Alain,

No, I didn't observe a clypeus.

Yes, you're right about Arecophila striatispora - I compared my spores to the pictures in Wang, Aptroot & Hyde, but I think the shape is different - I thought my spores were a little more acute at the ends (?)

The specimen will soon be headed to Germany, so hopefully Bjorn will be able to make some (better) observations!

Amitiés,

Nick

Jacques Fournier, 31-03-2014 11:53
Jacques Fournier
Hi all,
sorry I missed the train.
It fits well Arecophila indeed, and Amphisphaeria/Arecophila striatispora fairly well too. Bjorn, I have a collection of A. striatispora from Basque Country on bamboo, I will send you a piece for comparison. Can you send me (again?) your postal address?
Cheers,
Jacques
Paul Cannon, 02-04-2015 20:05
Hello all, is there any further news of the identification of Nick's nice fungus?
I've just been adding a species page for Arecophila striatispora based on Irish collections from bamboos (see http://fungi.myspecies.info/all-fungi/arecophila-striatispora) and this seems to be rather closer to the original species concept than the fungus on Carex pendula. The ascospores are slightly curved as in Francoise Candoussau's description, and the spore halves are less strongly narrowed. But maybe the identification of the Irish species isn't right either - the ascomata have a clypeus and the ascospores appear not to have gelatinous sheaths (though this may be due to the age of the material). I think that Nick's fungus could be an undescribed species of Arecophila, and perhaps the Irish fungus is as well.....
Your opinions will be valuable....

All good wishes
Paul